We used CB Insights data to highlight 52 startups threatening to peel away different niches and services currently occupied by the traditional hotel industry.
- Hotel Booking – Startups like Hotel Urbano and Splendia are making it easier to find, compare, and book hotel stays. Some companies like HotelTonight provide customers with last-minute deals for unoccupied hotel rooms, while ByHours.com allows you to rent hotel spaces for hourly amounts as opposed to full days.
- Alternative Lodging – One of the newest growing industries is alternative staying, allowing people to book rooms in existing apartments, vacation homes, etc. AirBnB is the most well-funded in this space.
- Concierge Services – These are startups attending to your requests, much like a hotel concierge does for guests. Startups like Magic and Operator use a text-based interface to handle your needs, while HeadOut gives you recommendations and deals for cities you’re travelling to.
- Events/Meetings – Hotels are common places for events to be held, but startups likeeVenues are making it easy to price-compare event venues, while companies likeBreather provide pay-by-the-hour temporary office spaces and meeting rooms.
- Weddings – Many weddings utilize hotel spaces/services for their special day. These are startups that are helping people choose their venues/vendors.
- Budget Hotel Networks – Companies like OYO Rooms and Treebo Hotels aggregate small motels and hotels, certify them for quality and standards, and market the resulting network of rooms under their own brand.