- 2013: Qualcomm has presented their Zeroth processor for brain-inspired computing.
- 2012: Google X has been working on implementing the largest Deep Neural Network to date on a 16,000-node server.
- 2012: Microsoft Research is applying neural networks to general-purpose (approximate) computing with Neural Processing Units (joint project with Univ. Washington and Univ. of Texas)
- 2012: Intel has opened a Collaborative Research Institute for Computational Intelligence (joint center with Technion and Hebrew University)
- 2011: IBM is developing a Cognitive Chip
- 2010: NEC labs at Princeton is working on mapping neural networks to FPGAs and GPUs
Source: Olivier Temam
I would have added a picture of the incredible Connection Machine made by Thinking Machines Corporation in the 80s, with as many as 65,536 individual processors.
I applied Neural Nets and Genetic Algorithms on Bond Yields Data in a consulting assignment for Fidelity’s derivative program in the early 90s using SAS procedures.
Aviva Lev-Ari, PhD