Instagram is one of the most-used social media platforms with more than 2.5 billion active users in 2023 which has made it one of the top platforms for marketers and advertisers to promote their products and services.
Launching your marketing strategy on Instagram can be quite challenging if you are unaware of the latest trends, analytics, and stats.
Therefore, it’s important to understand all the insights and statistics of Instagram to ensure your campaign is a success and reaches the right audience. In this article, we will be mentioning top Instagram Statistics as of 2023 that can help marketers create a successful marketing strategy.
General Instagram Statistics
- There are over 2.35 billion users on Instagram and it is projected to reach 2.5 billion by the end of 2023.
- 50.7% of Instagram users are Male and 49.3% of users are female making a pretty even gender split in terms of the audience.
- Instagram is the fourth most visited social media service in the world.
- In 2020, 95 million Instagram accounts were fake bots which cost brands an estimated $1.3 billion. (GhostData)
- Around 85% of Instagram’s audience is younger than 45 years. (Statista)
- There are around 127 million Instagram users in the United States itself. (Statista)
- Over 900 million Instagram users utilize Instagram Stories every day in 2023. (Earthweb)
- The total number of users that could be reached by marketers with advertisements on Instagram increased by around 310 million (+23.5%).
- The most followed Instagram user globally is Footballer Cristiano Ronaldo with 612 Million followers.
Instagram Usage Statistics
- Instagram Users spend an average of 12 hours every month or a total of 30 minutes every day across the world. (Statista) (Oberlo)
- Users in the United States spend around 7.7 hours/month on average using Instagram.
- Over 100 million Instagram users watch Instagram Live daily.
- Around 66,000 photos are shared on Instagram by users every minute.
- Roughly 14% of marketers have been involved in posting live videos on Instagram Live during 2021.
- 70% of the total Instagram users are below the age of 34 years.
- Around 21% of the United States Gen Z adults use Reels on a weekly basis.
- As of 2021, it was stated that Gen Z users of Instagram spend around 5 hours on a weekly basis on Instagram.
- The Asia-Pacific region is considered as one-third of the total Instagram users.
- 59% of Instagram users check their Instagram account at least once on a daily basis.
- 21% of Instagram users login to their accounts on a weekly basis, while only 16% of users log in less frequently. (PEW)
Instagram Active Users
As of January 2023, Instagram’s active users reached 2.5 Billion. Here is a table showcasing Instagram’s active users from 2016 to 2023.
Leading countries based on Instagram audience size as of January 2023
Instagram is the 4th most visited social media platform around the world with around 2.5 Billion users. As of January 2023, India contains the largest Instagram audience with 229.55 million users, followed by the United States 143.35 million.
Below is a table showcasing the top countries with the highest Instagram audience size around the world:
Global Distribution of Instagram Users as per Age Groups
Instagram is widely popular for users between the age group of 18 to 44. Teenagers and young adults are the majority of active Instagram users due to its attractive content, exciting and fun reel features, and more.
As of January 2023, the majority Instagram audience were aged between 18 to 24 with 30.8% followed by the age group of 25 to 34 with 30.3%. Users aged 65 and above are the audience with the least Instagram users with 2.6%.
Below is a table showcasing the global distribution of Instagram users as per the age group:
|13 to 17
|18 to 24
|25 to 34
|35 to 44
|45 to 54
|55 to 64
|65 and Above
Instagram Reel Statistics
Instagram Reels are short-form videos that have been gaining massive popularity ever since it was first introduced in August 2020. Meta’s CEO Mark Zuckerberg described reels as a significant engagement growth driver for Instagram.
Initially, reels started as a 15-second short video feature but today users can edit up to 90 seconds and gain popularity on Instagram by sharing exciting videos. Let’s take a look at the statistics related to Instagram reel:
- 2.35 Billion Instagram users interact with Reels every month.
- Instagram is expected to reach 2.5 billion monthly active users by the end of 2023 resulting in the reel engagement reaching 2.5 billion people.
- India is considered the largest user base for the Instagram reel feature.
- The Majority of Instagram Reel audience falls under the age group of 25 to 34 users.
- Instagram increased its reel duration from 15 seconds to 90 seconds.
Instagram engagement statistics
- A total of 4.2 billion likes are been registered every day on Instagram
- There was a 6.47% boost in the average engagement rate on Instagram on Sunday
- Instagram videos are capable of generating higher engagement with around 38% compared to photos
- The average engagement rate of business accounts on Instagram with less than 10,000 followers is 0.98%
- The average engagement rate for photo posts is 0.59%, for carousel posts it is 1.26% and for Instagram reels, it is 1.23%
- 2.35 billion users interact with Instagram Reels almost every month.
- Reels receive 22% more interaction on Instagram compared to standard video posts
- On average, there are about 10.7 hashtags that are been used in Instagram posts
- The highest Instagram reel engagement rates of accounts with less than 5000 followers are around 3.79%
- The weekdays with the highest engagement rate on Instagram are Wednesday and Thursday
- Instagram posts with tagged locations have the potential to gain 79% more engagement compared to posts without any tags
Instagram statistics for business
There are more than 200,000 million business profiles on Instagram
Currently, Instagram is one of the most popular spaces utilized by businesses around the world for building audience and marketing purposes. Nearly 15% of the Instagram population are businesses making Instagram a great opportunity platform through which businesses can increase their profit.
44% of Instagram users utilize the social media platform for shopping purposes on a weekly basis
Instagram is an excellent platform that is utilized by businesses. Whether users are truly making purchases or simply browsing through products and services for future purchases, Instagram is a great platform for research and user-friendly shopping.
62.4% of users utilize Instagram to follow and research various brands or products
Instagram is one of the best and most powerful consumer tools for research regarding any business, product, or service. This platform is highly utilized by users to collect information about various brands and products thanks to its user-friendly interface.
July forecast of Hootsuite showcased that 97.6% of US marketers utilized Instagram in 2023
Instagram plays a crucial role in Influencer marketing to engage with their audience by making various marketing audiences. 53.7% of US marketers are using Instagram Reels for influencer marketing in 2023 for its diverse content formats, excellent creator tools, and ability to reach a higher audience.
There is a 70% conversion rate of businesses connecting to local customers using Instagram
According to Meta, businesses that utilize Instagram’s direct messaging feature to connect with local or new customers have a success rate of 70% conversion.
Instagram Product-tagging feature helps increase business sales by up to 37%
Instagram allows users to tag their products and services in their posts and videos through which customers can directly reach the mentioned product in posts or videos making it easier for customers to find their desired product. This has helped in increasing business sales to 37% on average compared to non-tagging peers.
2 out of 3 active users believe that Instagram allows users to build a meaningful connection with the brands
According to Meta, Instagram provides a unique platform through which businesses can connect with their consumers and brands using value-driven content and provide personal and direct customer service for a better experience.
Instagram Statistics for Advertising
Instagram is a powerful tool for Advertising through which businesses can efficiently optimize their profile, create an impactful content strategy, and reach a larger audience through high-quality visuals. Here are the top Instagram statistics for advertising:
- Instagram advertisements contain the potential to reach around 849.3 million users.
- 69% of the budget is spent on influencer marketing by Instagram marketers to promote their products and services on Instagram.
- India has the highest Instagram ad audience size with a total of 180 million. The second highest is the United States with 170 million, followed by Brazil with 110 million.
- The ad revenue of Instagram stories is expected to increase to $20.03 billion in 2023.
- The largest section of Instagram’s advertisement audience ranges between the 18 to 24 age groups.
- The advertisement on Instagram stories has a contribution of about 26.7% of the platform’s ad revenue in 2023, rising up from 26.4% in 2022.
- 83% of consumers have stated they use Instagram to discover new products and services.
- Video advertisements have the potential to reach a 3x more engagement rate compared to image posts.
Today, Instagram is one of the most popular social media platforms worldwide. Its excellent unique content formats, excellent creator tools, and ability to reach a higher audience have made it one of the top platforms for businesses and advertisers.
Here you can find millions of audiences with different interests, choices, and preferences and launch your marketing campaign to reach your target audience. Above we have listed down top Instagram statistics that can help understand the impact of Instagram in 2023.
For a deeper dive into the dynamics of ephemeral messaging and multimedia sharing, don’t miss our detailed article on Snapchat Statistics.